LS Machine Beauty

Jason Gaedtke (jgaedtke@gb.frontiernet.net)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:55:59 +0100

Hello All,
Been a while since I've posted, but I finally have a couple briefly thoughts to
share.

First off, I just notice the "final" version of the principles of the MoQ on
the LilaSquad homepage. Personally, I found it to be an excellent and concise
summary of many of the important insights that have risen out of our ongoing
discussion. All who contributed to this documents should be commended. The
LilaSquad is truly a Quality endeavor.

Along another line of thought... I was recently browsing the New York Time
Book Review website, when I stumbled across a review that I though many of you
might appreciate. The direct URL to the review is:
 http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/01/25/daily/machine-book-review.html (Those
of you who have not registered at the NYT site may be asked to do so before you
will be allowed to access this document.)

The book in question is called "MACHINE BEAUTY: Elegance and the Heart of
Technology" and is written by David Gelernter. Gelernter has his own
terminology, of course, but the primary phenomena that he is addressing is the
desperate need for a conscious awareness of Quality, specifically in computer
software development, but also on a longer technological scale. As you might
expect, many of his comments relate directly to Pirsig's work, specifically as
presented in ZMM. As an example, consider the notion of "random access" and
the additional value that it adds to a given pool of information.
I know that many of you live and/or work in the computer industry. Hope you
enjoy...
Regards,
Jas

--