LS Re: Principles - Update 2

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:18:08 +0100

Hi Dave and squad

Dave Thomas wrote:

> So is not the underlying "Why?" of the moral order, freedom, choice or both,
> words which Pirsig uses in various places in a similar context. And if so are
> these not fundamentals?

The original Evolution principle was

"To create ever higher levels of awareness, Dynamic Quality strives for
freedom from all static patterns. Freedom is the highest Good in the
Metaphysics of Quality. Life is a migration of static patterns of
quality toward Dynamic Quality"

Which I then changed to

"Evolution.
The universe is evolving away from low quality and towards high
quality."

The word "freedom" aroused some controversy which is why I took it out.
Freedom is moral but not at the expense of stability.

"Evolution.
The universe is evolving away from low quality and towards high quality.
High quality is when Dynamic Quality breaks free of static patterns and
pulls those patterns forward. Low quality is when static quality
smothers Dynamic Quality and when static quality does not latch onto
Dynamic Quality.

This includes the idea of freedom as the motivator but doesn't go as far
as saying that freedom is the highest good. Freedom isn't the highest
good. The highest good is the correct balance of Dynamic and static. And
what do you get if you combine Dynamic and static? You get Quality. The
highest good in the Metaphysics of Quality is Quality itself.

Diana

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com