LS Re: Principles - Update 2

Dave Thomas (dlt44@ipa.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 03:42:41 +0100

Diana

As you already know, since I've said it before, I like the separate
subdivision for Morality.

morality-1.moral quality or character, rightness or wrongness, as of an action...
moral-3 good or right in conduct or character,...
3rd Edition Websters New World Dictionary

So my take would be this:

Morality
Morality is a synonym for Quality. An phenomenon is considered moral, right,
or good to the extent that it enhances freedom. (or promotes freedom,
perpetuates feels static)

Just finished "The Dancing Universe, from Creation Myths to the Big Bang" by
Marcelo Gleiser Dutton Books-1997, for those on the squad ,like myself, who
are not huge science and physics buffs this is a very clear lay overview of
the progress and conflict between science, philosophy, religion, and mythology
from pre Socratic until present with an up to date bibliography.

It clearly illustrates that all science is done within the context of the
social patterns of its time. And it shows how time after time philosophers and
scientists include things in their supposedly "objective" theories that were
clearly "subjective" based, conscientiously or not, on their philosophical POV
or their societies POV.

Dave

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com