LS Re: Principles - Update 2

Dave Thomas (dlt44@ipa.net)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:25:01 +0100

Hi Mangus & Platt,

Mangus wrote:
> Let me describe what I mean with chaos. It's quite simple really. Every
> > static pattern we've ever known will disintegrate and become *nothing* as
> > in "No thing". The physical way to describe it is that every atom will
> > fall apart and become indistinguishable from eachother and the rest of
> > the nothingness.

Which seems very close to the dictionary defination:
"the disorder of formless matter and infinite space, supposed to have existed
before the ordered universe." (or if I read you right, Mangus, in a cyclic
universe model,chaos, is what will happen just after the Big Crunch and before
the next Big Bang as the Hindu Gods dance.)

Key word "supposed" a theory, static pattern. Is not what we commonly call
chaos just a lack of comprehension? Systems so large and complexed that we
fail to comprehend the patterns. And even complexity, is this "complexity" not
primarily a growth of man's static patterns? If we remove man from the
equation, How much more complexed is the universe now than it has been for
billions of years? So to those who say that life is getting more complexed and
chaotic don't we say not so. It just seems that way because we lack a
metaphysics that unifies and makes understandable that very large and
codepentant Pogo universe of US.

So Platt should not the corrollary to Catch 34 be:

To divide, indivisible existence, we must take it whole.

Dave

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com