LS Re: Catches

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 05:26:14 +0100

Platt Holden wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Doug wrote:
>
> > > Catch 34: To continue to exist, we must divide indivisible
> existence.
> > > (Thanks Doug!)
> > Platt,
> >
> > Did I say that? Or do you mean Doug B? Or is the above
> paraphrased?
>
> Can't find the specific reference and my memory fails me. But I'm sure
> it's
> a paraphrase. Anyway, my thanks to you extends to all the Catches
> since you
> were the first to show their relevance to the MoQ.
>
> > Also, I think catch 32 has a major problem. Check it out. You sure
> you
> > want to say that?
>
> Catch 32: Words cannot really describe reality because the words we
> use to
> describe reality are part of the reality we're trying to describe.
>
> Don't see a problem. Pirsig says, "Thought is not a path to reality.
> It
> carries you away from it." Also, our first principle asserts that
> Quality
> (reality) is impossible to define. What am I missing?
>
> Platt
>
> --
Platt,

Do we agree that Quality has two divisions? Do we agree that one
division is SQ and the other is DQ? Do we agree that DQ is
undefinable? Do we agree that SQ is inherently definable via the
process of SPoV latching?

Each (language) description of reality is in SQ. Each is a latched
SPoV. Descriptions build from more primitive, latched SPoVs we call
words or symbols. (All of these SPoVs mutate by DQ influence.)

Do you agree?

By analogy :), each lifeform interpretation (description) of reality is
in SQ (our bodies, other animals, plants, etc.). Lifeforms similarly
build from more primitive SPoVs we call cells, etc.

Do you agree?

By greater analogy, all that we perceive as SQ (planets, solar systems,
galaxies, universes, etc.) may be described similarly.

Do you agree?

If catch 32 is a good catch, to me, then it implies that there is no way
to build a metaphor of reality. I disagree with that conclusion.
Clearly we use SPoVs all the time to bootstrap higher intellectual
patterns as part of our attempts to understand reality.

Did I miss something?

Mtty,

Doug Renselle.

--
"Socrates himself says it is an analogy...Everything is an analogy.  But
the dialecticians don't know that."

By Robert M. Pirsig, in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,' pp. 351-2, Bantam (paperback), 28th edition, 1982.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com