LS Re: bits and pieces

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:13:25 +0100

Ciona,

Welcome to TLS! Glad to see another fresh screen on the net.

Is the front end of your message to us missing? See below.

I am really curious about your observations re: most of TLS being
classicists vs. romanticists. Could you say more about how you
distinguish the two classes of folk? E.g., topics, language, culture,
etc.

For me this is a real problem. In the USA, we are embedded in a SOM
culture with all the accoutrements and baggage. Personally, when I try
to talk with the MoQ language people drift away.

Notably the SOM language is simpler and faster. It is more efficient,
short term, than MoQ. But it is less accurate and tends toward
inconsistent generalizations.

Our TLS mates mostly use SOM language to discuss and describe MoQ. Do
you? Is this what you refer to as classicist? Anthony has attempted to
use MoQ-speak. I have tried it a few times, but others seem to ignore
it or be unaware of what we are attempting to do.

About the guidebook to ZMM -- I have that and consider it good. Lots of
anecdotal information from lots of resources. Also the early part on
Zen instruction and the phases is fun and allows a SOMite to make
comparisons to another world. I like to imagine that people in the
middle of the next millennium will easily move twixt a Zen-like focused
meditative behavior and an MoQ-like defocused gregarious behavior. One
without the other seems empty or incomplete. Also, the two states
appear to me complementary.

Ciona, as you have read, Diana, Maggie, Platt, et al., make frequent
attempts to pull TLS onto the romantic road via art, poetry, music,
etc. Perhaps it is time for the likes of me to shut up about physics
and the technical aspects of MoQ.

Let's try that for awhile. What MoQ aspects of art, etc., do you want
to talk about?

BTW, I say Leye-Lah.

Mtty, Ciona,

Doug Renselle.

--
"Socrates himself says it is an analogy...Everything is an analogy.  But
the dialecticians don't know that."

By Robert M. Pirsig, in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,' pp. 351-2, Bantam (paperback), 28th edition, 1982.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com