LS Re: Catches

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:20:29 +0100

Hi Platt and TLS,

See comments below -

Platt Holden wrote:

I tried to avoid your valid objection to Catch 32 by including 'really
describe' to suggest that while descriptions are possible they can never
be complete. This was a mistake on my part to assume that 'really' would
carry the meaning of 'completely.' If I substitute the word
'completely' for 'really' would that make the Catch OK? Or should I drop
it all together for the reasons you cite? Believe me, I'm not married to
Catch 32.

In any case, I certainly don't think you're being difficult. I enjoy
these discussions, too. Besides being fun, I always learn something from
them.

Platt.

Catch 36: That the rational is real is not rationally demonstrable.
(Thanks to German philosopher Hegel.)

---
Doug responds:

Platt,

Here is Catch 32 again:

Catch 32: Words cannot really describe reality because the words we use to describe reality are part of the reality we're trying to describe.

Let's make your change:

Catch 32: Words cannot COMPLETELY describe reality because the words we use to describe reality are part of the reality we're trying to describe.

In my view, "Words cannot completely describe reality." has potential for truth. The because… part to me is suspect, for all the reasons I enunciated in prior emails.

Let me ask a question: What in our perception of reality cannot be used to describe our perception of it?

Once we have that answer we can substitute it for the term ‘words’ in Catch 32.

What do you think?

Mtty,

Doug Renselle.

--
"Socrates himself says it is an analogy...Everything is an analogy.  But
the dialecticians don't know that."

By Robert M. Pirsig, in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,' pp. 351-2, Bantam (paperback), 28th edition, 1982.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com