LS Re: Whats wrong with the SOM.

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 07:33:59 +0100

Hi Ken and squad

Ken wrote

> To explain my view I will start with the contents of the static levels.
> These static levels precondition our mindset, our Dynamic Quality, to
> favor certain aspects of our total field of awareness, which consists of
> input from our immediate surroundings plus the total content of our minds,
> including subconscious prickings, plus any overriding, jarring impressions
> which may be present. The gleanings of Dynamic Quality resulting from these
> urgings are immediately transferred to our consciousness, our static
> quality, where they are subjected to the jury of our static patterns of
> value, this new state of SPoV immediately preconditions our Dynamic Quality
> again to repeat the process. Our lives are a continuous circle of
> adjustment to the gleanings of Dynamic Quality.

It sounds to me like your understanding of Dynamic and static is similar
to the understanding that I'm becoming more and more convinced of. The
more I try to figure out what it is, the more I think that Dynamic
Quality is just whatever seems better to us. Dynamic Quality is whatever
is high quality and static is whatever is low quality. As you said, it's
a circle we're all bound to. We all keep moving towards what seems
dynamic. The Dynamic Quality acts upon our static patterns and pulls us
forward to a higher level of understanding. And then the whole thing
repeats.

Pirsig's attempts at defining the two are fine as guidelines, but they
shouldn't be taken too literally. For example he says that dynamic is
unstable and static is stable. That's fine but that doesn't mean that
everything that is unstable is more dynamic (or of a higher quality)
than everything that is stable. You wouldn't want unstable brakes on
your car would you.

I hope I'm not sidetracking your discussion Ken, but your idea of the
continous circle does seem to be consistent with my point of view that
Dynamic Quality is just betterness (regardless of whether that
betterness is stable or unstable, organized or unorganized, defined or
undefined) and that is is equivalent to high quality, and that we all
move towards it whether we realize it or not. "What's inevitable?" said
the river to Krishna. "It's inevitable that you will be happy, because
that's what you are always trying to be". (I would add to that that it's
also inevitable that you'll never be happy, because as soon as you reach
the higher level it will become static and you'll start looking for
Dynamic Quality again.)

Diana

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com