LS Re: vocabulary

Diana McPartlin (diana@asiantravel.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:39:59 +0100

Donald T Palmgren wrote:

> Boy, Diana, you just took off like you were shot out of a canon
> (pun intended)!

hehehe, please bear in mind it was philosopholololology, which fyi means
talking in vague terms about things you aren't entirely sure about. Not
to be confused with actual philosophology let alone philosophy;-)

I hope that overview helps everyone not so steeped in the
> history of philosophy, but everbody keep in mind that when you take
> somthing inherently complex and simplify it you also distort. Rather than
> chalanging point-by-point what I don't agree w/ I'll just stick w/ Kant

Good idea.

> I'm sure that's longer than it needs to be, but there's a reason
> for clearifying all these words so we know just what we mean. If Pirsig
> wants to get rid of SOM then it's significant if what he really means is
> MBd, because that's something the German Idealist set out to do while not
> at the same time rendering the world totally subjective (as Hume did --
> 'it's all in your mind').

The way I read LILA was that subject meant mind and object meant matter.
Mind was intellectual value, in other words thought, and matter was
anything physical. This is not the same as the knower and known type of
subjective and objective. The "knower" sounds like what I (being raised
a Catholic) would call the "soul". The soul is the "me" that does the
thinking. It isn't the actual thoughts. But Pirsig isn't very clear
about this. In Lila he dismisses "me" as being an illusion of the
intellectual level (chp15). But in the SODV paper he talks about a
"sense of value" -- that sounds suspiciously like a soul to me.

In answer to the question of whether Pirsig is trying to get rid of the
SOM or MBd, I'd say Pirsig uses the two interchangeably. But, according
to your definitions, it is actually MBd because the bulk of LILA is
dedicated to showing that mind and matter (or mind and body) are the
same thing.

Okay you can bring Kant on now.

Diana

--