LS Re: vocabulary

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:12:31 +0100

Magnus,

BRAVO!

Doug Renselle.
-------------------------

Magnus Berg wrote:

> Hi again Donny
>
> Donald T Palmgren wrote:
> >
> > Pretend all of you that you are the head of a university
> > philosophy department (a fate I wouldn't wish upon my worst enamy),
> and
> > the dean comes in and says, "I'm real sorry Professor Knows-a-lot,
> but
> > we've got these terible budget problems and I'm going to have to get
> rid
> > of the entier philosophy program."
> > And you say, "But Dean Tightwad, we need to study
> philosophy!"
> > And Dean Tightwad says, "Well, perhaps you can help me. See
> I was
> > a bussiness major, and I've never really understood what you do
> here."
> > Now, how are you going to respond? This guy wants to know,
> > bottom-line, what's the pay-off, and your job depends upon your
> answer.
> > What are you going to say?
>
> The day my interest in philosophy is dependent on budget, I hope I
> have
> the sense to quit. Another thing, budget is social SPoV. Science,
> including philosophy, is intellectual SPoV. So, according to MoQ, it
> is immoral for budget to inhibit science. Of course I realize that
> much
> of science today is dependent on budget, it is nevertheless immoral.
>
> A disturbing thing here is the emotional detachment that are very
> common among philosophers. They live with the illusion that all
> different philosophies can be "objectively" compared and ordered.
> That is not the case. It would mean that "objective" would be a
> definition made in some kind of meta philosophy. I'm not really
> sure, but if that is what Kant did with his a priori idea, then
> his philosophy is resting on itself, just as much as any other.
>
> Philosophers don't dare to get emotionally involved because then,
> their so called "objectiveness" gets polluted by their personal
> likes and dislikes, what we call value. And value is something
> that is totally forbidden in all "objective" science.
>
> That's why philosophers say that "Philosophy is the study of its
> own history". They're trapped in the church of reason and can't
> get out.
>
> No pun intended, but sometimes I'm beginning to doubt if you
> really read ZMM and Lila. All I said above is there, but much
> clearer than my ramblings. But if you're also trapped in the
> church of reason, I can understand your reasoning. There's no
> way to fit the MoQ within the church of reason.
>

> > > I substitute subject with knower, mind, subjective, insubstantial
> etc.
> > > I substitute object with known, matter, objective, body,
> substantial etc.
> > >
> > > I sense that you might not, please elaborate.
> >
> > Certainly. Pirsig makes the same equation you do without
> thinking
> [...]

"Now, we daily see what science is doing for us.  This could not be
unless it taught us something about reality; the aim of science is not
things themselves, as the dogmatists in their simplicity imagine, but
the relations between things; outside those relations there is no
reality knowable."

By Henri Poincaré, in 'Science and Hypothesis,' p. xxiv, translated from French in 1905 by J. Larmor, published 1952 by Dover Publications.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com