LS Re: Conceptions of Dynamic Quality (was: Whats wrong with the SOM.)

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:58:52 +0100

Keith,

This treatise of yours is simply Excellent!

One comment on your parenthetical:

(I'm still too much caught up in intellectual understanding to fully
appreciate what Pirsig means by 'direct experience' of reality.)

Have you read Eugen Herrigel's 'Zen in the Art of Archery?' It will
help you with being "...caught up..." and Pirsig's 'direct experience.'

Thanks for this superb contribution to TLS.

Mtty,

Doug Renselle.
Keith A. Gillette wrote:

> At 1:18 PM +0000 2/11/98, Diana McPartlin wrote:
> >It sounds to me like your understanding of Dynamic and static is
> similar
> >to the understanding that I'm becoming more and more convinced of.
> The
> >more I try to figure out what it is, the more I think that Dynamic
> >Quality is just whatever seems better to us. Dynamic Quality is
> whatever
> >is high quality and static is whatever is low quality. As you said,
> it's
> >a circle we're all bound to. We all keep moving towards what seems
> >dynamic. The Dynamic Quality acts upon our static patterns and pulls
> us
> >forward to a higher level of understanding. And then the whole thing
> >repeats.
>
> I would take issue with your assertion that "Dynamic Quality is just
> whatever seems better to us." I find this statement misleading. For
> example, I have a friend for whom eating cheeseburgers "seems better"
> than
> excercising regularly. Occasionally, I agree with her. However, I
> don't
> think that either of those activities qualify as Dynamic Quality.
>
> A synomym for Dynamic Quality that Pirsig introduced in "Subjects,
> Objects,
> Data, Values" (page 17) that may be of use here. In "SODV", Pirsig
> calls
> Dynamic Quality the "Conceptually Unknown". I like this term. It loses
> some
> of the meanings of Dynamic (changing; patternless) Quality (good;
> valuable), but it cuts to another of its significant characteristics:
> that
> of being unknown to our intellect. To me, this is the essence of
> Pirsig's
> Dynamic Quality.
>
> The key to understanding Dynamic Quality as the Conceptually Unkown
> lies
> with the realization that reality can not be fully captured by
> language
> (i.e. understood intellectually). The reason for this is merely that
> language is part of the whole of reality, and by definition a part of
> something cannot be greater than the whole. So the process of
> intellectual
> abstraction necessarily leaves out aspects of that which it describes.
> believe this is what Platt Holden means in his "Catch 32", beautifully
> stated in his metaphor "Our eyes cannot completely see reality because
> the
> eyes we use to see reality are part of the reality we're trying to
> see."
>
> These left-out parts are, therefore, Conceptually Unknown, Pirsig's
> Dynamic
> Quality. Now in one sense, the Conceptually Unknown Pirsig talks about
> in
> "SODV" is merely the *currently* Conceptually Unknown. That is, after
> [...]

"Now, we daily see what science is doing for us.  This could not be
unless it taught us something about reality; the aim of science is not
things themselves, as the dogmatists in their simplicity imagine, but
the relations between things; outside those relations there is no
reality knowable."

By Henri Poincaré, in 'Science and Hypothesis,' p. xxiv, translated from French in 1905 by J. Larmor, published 1952 by Dover Publications.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com