LS Re: The March/April 1998 Issue of The Sciences

clark (clark@netsites.net)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 10:08:00 +0100

----------
> From: Bodvar Skutvik <skutvik@online.no>
> To: Multiple recipients of <lilasqd@mail.hkg.com>
> Subject: LS Re: The March/April 1998 Issue of The Sciences
> Date: Monday, March 02, 1998 1:58 PM
>
> Sun, 01 Mar 1998 00:19:41 +0000
> Doug Renselle wrote
>
> > TLS,
> > If you can, see the latest - March/April 1998 Issue of the New York
> > Academy of Sciences magazine, 'The Sciences.'
> > At least three items of interest for TLS here:
> > "Unmasking Tradition," by Rogaia Mustafa Abusharaf on Sudanese female
> > circumcision as a socio/cultural rite.
> > "Initial Conditions - Rite of Shame," forward to the above article by
> > The Science's editor Peter G. Brown. Brown broaches the actuality of
> > many truths across different cultures and the tendency for humankind to
> > lapse into, '...a paralyzing cultural relativism...' Here is a real
> > world example of how MoQ solves a very difficult cultural problem.
> > Also, in the same issue, in an article titled, "All Wet," about alcohol
> > abstinence, there is a beautiful Rene' Magritte: 'The Raw Nerve,'
1960.
> > (re: the Einstein Meets Magritte conference, 1995, where Pirsig
> > presented SODV)
>

> Doug.
> The said magazine is not normally to be obtained at my nook, but
> the "Unmasking Tradition" article sounded highly interesting (during
> my absence I wrote a piece called "Tribal MOQ" (for the forum) that
> may have a bearing on these matters). Can you possibly scan and mail
> it to me? I can order it if not possible, but it takes ages.
>
> I attach this re.your other message as well: Sorry, the portion of
> your message concerning the "Lorenz transformation" must have
> passed me by in its time. It was useful knowledge however and it's
> great to hear that you are at work on a SOM/MOQ "transformation" too.
> I'll be looking forward to see it "live". Animation means a video
> sequence - or?
>
> I wonder if Dave Thomas is still around. He is a wizard with
> his "Adobe" paint box and would possibly be able to come up with an
> artful diagram. So Dave, if you read this and recognize the need for
> a connection between subject/object and the Quality world view,
> sharpen your digital crayons.
>
> Also Doug, I wonder if you have noticed my obsession with the
> SOM-as-Intellect-of-MOQ idea? I find it a kind of transformation in
> itself; a seamless knitting together of the two. Anthony doubts if
> Pirsig would vouch for it, but I find it a natural consequence of the
> original Quality "equation".
>
> Bo
>

> --
> post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com

Bodvar,
  Dave E-mailed me a few days ago and said he had not had any messages in
about ten days. I forwarded him the thirty or so that I had but I haven't
heard back. he must be having computer problems. Perhaps with his server.
Diana, you might check your end. Ken Clark

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com