LS Re: The Bodvar Challenge

clark (clark@netsites.net)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:03:43 +0100

Donny,
  I have been reading your posts with pleasure even though I don't
understand a word of them. Years ago I tried to read some philosophy but
after extracting a little meaning with great effort it lasted about five
minutes. I gave up. I still have a few of the books around but I only keep
them so I can snarl at them when I pass by.
  You caught my attention with Nietszche's philosophy of the Will to Power.
It sounds very similar to the epiphany I had the other night about the
basis of Pirsig's philosophy being grounded in the force for greater
information content that we observe everywhere around us in the universe
including our minds (is that a curse word?).
  I have not had time to go thru ZMM and Lila again with TFFGIC in mind but
from what I have in my mind it all seems to fit. I like it because it
relieves us from the necessity for appealing to mysticism, at least until
we get back to where it all came from. I know that this idea will set up a
great howl in the squad but I have been uneasy about some of Pirsig's and
the Squad's conclusions without being able to exactly put my finger on my
objections. If my re-reading of ZMM and Lila bolsters my ideas then I will
have completely satisfied myself about the MOQ and will feel that I
completely understand it. A quick glance back into ZMM (the genesis of
Pirsig's thinking) makes me think that he may have had something like this
in mind. Lila is a fine book but to my mind smacks a wee bit of having to
get something ready for publication. ZMM was the book that he poured his
heart into. Squad, I am ready for a blast. Ken Clark

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com