LS Re: Ken and Bo

Bodvar Skutvik (skutvik@online.no)
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:13:12 +0100

Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:52:50 -0500 (EST)
Donald T Palmgren rounded off:

> My rule of thumb is this: It is
> most helpful to stop thinking of science as a window into the mind of God
> ("This is how the world is regardless of what you or I or anyone know,
> say, think, feel, or care about it!") and think of it insted as a way in
> which we talk to one-another. Clearly it is the latter before it can be
> anything else. Science is a social enterprise. And as such it is also a
> moral one -- there is a right way it is done and a wrong way. It is a
> channel of comunication, the truth-value of which depends on whether it is
> open or closed.
> A fact is the result of a proof. It's existance depends on the
> proof -- which is inherently social/moral. W/o society there are no proofs
> and w/o proofs there are no facts. How does that strike you?

Donny.
I buy it. It is (a major part of) the quality idea. By the way, I
look eagerly forward to finding something about Nietzsche and
Schopenhauer from your hand. The former I look upon as a Phaedrus who
did NOT return from the no-man's-land outside our Mind/Matter myth.
Of course I know there are theories about his illness being caused
by a brain tumor or whatever, but I find with him traces of the same
ideas that did P. of ZMM in.

Schopenhauer's assertion "Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung" (the
World as Will and Ideas) sounds weird enough (Crazy, but is it
crazy enough?...as Niels Bohr said), yet: ideas?. Isn't that
German "Spiritual Sciences" (two strange bedfellows!)? The world
being REALLY mind? That brings us nowhere except into the subjective
blind alley. But admittedly, he is - also - regarded as a bridge
between East and West so there is surely something. Hope you can give
us an introduction.

Bo

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com