LS Re: meaning as center of man's action

Andrew_Russell/FS/KSG@ksg.harvard.edu
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:21:16 +0100

Welcome Kevin. In the next 30-40 years we will see a drastic, evolutionary
change in the way we perceive the world and others, and how we act in
relation to this new, more responsible, worldview. An early sign of this is
the prominence of human rights in the political arena in the past 10 years
(USSR, S. Africa, China, etc.). Youth is the driver. As for building your
biography, diversity in travel and associations. See different things and
don't let anyone tell you how to do it. As you collect knowledge and
experience you will find that the Quality in nature and other people will
resonate with the Quality inside yourself. Experience creates dynamic
situations where Quality will emerge.

Kevin wrote:

>When meaning is seen as the center of man's
>action, everything man does is for an all-inclusive, qualitative value. In
>my opinion it is a psychology of quality.
> Thoughts?

It sounds like you're on the right track, but I'm not sure that meaning is
the center of man's action. Meaning is only one way of understanding man's
actions; it is just a form of interpretation of what could also be seen as
unrelated events. Meaning is a construct of the cause and effect pattern
of thought. It is easy to see the meaning behind going to the bank, or
eating healthy foods, etc. But when we try and understand the meaning of
spitting on the sidewalk, smiling at a rainbow, laughing at a joke, we get
caught up in a cycle of "why" questions, and end up explaining everything
in rational terms. Rational understanding does not directly and accurately
capture why we laugh spontaneously at a joke or cry when we see elderly
homeless.
And I could give you a whole list of things that would border on rude or
obscene or illegal that are actions of both men and women and are certainly
not for any all-inclusive, qualitative value (i.e. inappropriate or
ill-timed bodily functions).
Do you agree?

Andy

"Something unknown is doing we don't know what."

-Sir Arthur Eddington's comment on the Uncertainty Principle

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com