LS EO Wilson article

Hugo Fjelsted Alroe (alroe@vip.cybercity.dk)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:50:19 +0100

An article by EO Wilson which might interest others on the squad is
available online:

______________[Steve Kurtz @ GaiaPC]_______________
E.O.Wilson, whom I have long admired, has written a new book called
_Consilience_, and summarizes his thesis in an article in the March 98
Atlantic Monthly. It is available on-line:

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/98mar/eowilson.htm

(I got intercepted by a commercial when going there and had to manually
delete an inserted part in the address to get there - has anybody else
tried this kind of abduction?)

Wilson talks of the unity of knowledge, and covers a wide range of subjects
which I found relevant to Pirsigs work.

Among other things he mentions Schelling (- and this is a rare occasion,
even on the internet according to the searches I have made):

"Friedrich Schelling, the leading philosopher of the German Romantics,
attempted to immobilize the scientific Prometheus not with poetry but with
reason. He proposed a cosmic unity of all things, beyond the understanding
of man. Facts by themselves can never be more than partial truths. Those we
perceive are only fragments of the universal flux. Nature, Schelling
concluded, is alive -- a creative spirit that unites knower and known,
progressing through greater and greater understanding and feeling toward an
eventual state of complete self-realization. "