LS Re: Sir James Jeans

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 05:21:36 +0100

Hi Andy and TLS,

Thanks for the input on Jeans.

His comments sound much like those of Bohr when he talked of the
limitations of human language in expressing extremely abstract aspects
of reality. I think he said something like, "We are suspended in
language."

Jim of EEDitors hopefully noted Jeans' remark about cause and effect.

Thanks again,

Doug Renselle.

--

andrew_russell/fs/ksg@ksg.harvard.edu wrote: > > andrew russell/fs/ksg > 03/18/98 10:31 PM > > To: lilasqd@hkg.com > > cc: > "Sir James Jeans was a mathematician, physicist, and astronomer. He > made > fundamental contributions to the dynamical theory of gases, the > mathematical theory of electromagnetism, the evolution of gaseous > stars, > the nature of nebulae - to name a few. He was knighted in 1924, and > went on > to become one of the most popular and prominent philosophers of > science." > > Not at the top of my list, but speaking as a physicist, he validates > the > notion that science and ratioanlity is less than comprehensive: > > "The outsatnding achievement of twentieth century physics is not the > theory > of relativity with its welding together of space and time, or the > theory of > quanta with its apparent negation of the laws of causation, or the > dissection of the atom with the resultant discovery that things are > not > what they seem; it is the general recognition that we are not yet in > contact with the ultimate reality. We are still imprisoned in our own > cave, > with our backs to the light, and can only watch the shadows on the > wall." > > Sir James Jeans, _The Mysterious Universe_ > > sorry to use the words of others so often to get my points across. > it's > just that they say it so much better than I do.... >

--
The complementary view of truth is many truths which are contextual, and
by being contextual they leave room for the good to rule.  It is not

By Hugo Fjelsted Alroe in his email to The Lila Squad on 11 March 1998, 17:44 titled, "LS Re: Rambling on intellect and life."

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com