LS Re: Bio

Hugo Fjelsted Alroe (alroe@vip.cybercity.dk)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:06:25 +0100

Hi Horse, and welcome to the Squad!

I was glad to see your considerate concern for the dissemination of the
Metaphysics of Quality, and I agree that we do not need any new dogmatics;
as Platt Holden, the Squads Catcher, would say: "I am certain nothing can
be known for sure!"
 I also agree with you that there are many consequences of Pirsig's
metaphysics yet to be shown, whether they support existing ideas or sport
new ones.

You write:
> A couple of points about the MOQ itself. I feel that there is a
>strong connection between fuzzy or multi-valued logic, Chaos and the
>Metaphysics of Quality. I'm currently working on this (sporadically
>as I have a young boy and a brand new pair of twins who all require
>regular attention -not to mention my partner).

Twins <8-) congratulations!!

When you get the time, let us in on your thoughts.

>I also think that there is a great deal of scope for incorporating at
>least some of Pirsigs ideas into my main interest - that of
>Artificial Life. Still this is for the future - although hopefully
>not too distant.

There are definitely some interesting sort-of-tests of our ideas on the
nature and levels of reality to be gathered from the new world of
Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Artificial Life. I would be
interested in hearing your opinion on how Pirsigs levels of reality relates
to Artificial Life, for a start, - again - when those #¤&% twins let go of
you ;-)

> Finally, in Lila, Pirsig mentions the battle that has been raging
>for centuries between intellect and society. In the past, the means
>of distributing the products of the intellect - ideas, beliefs etc. -
>have been owned or controlled by those with the greatest interest in
>ensuring that society is stronger of the two. Now, for the first time
>in history, there is a tool which provides the means for the
>intellect to fight back against control and subjugation by society.
>It is a tool which, ironically, has been provided by those forces
>which exert the strongest control over society. The Internet. It
>seems pretty obvious and probably most of you in the Lila Squad have
>already seen this but I just thought I'd mention it anyway - just in
>case.

Yes, the future looks bleak for dictators; -- but perhaps we should be on
the look-out for the combined forces of demagogues, chaos and the big bad
market.

>Anyone wishing to contact me can do so at either:
>horse@wasted.demon.nl
>or
>darkstar@abduction.org
>and please don't read too much into the email addresses.

Well, there is a <lonewolf> roaming the Squad territory allready ...

See you
Hugo