LS Re: Where to look for S-Os

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 06:04:29 +0100

Bodvar Skutvik wrote:

> Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:28:00 -0500
> Doug Renselle <renselle@on-net.net>
> wrote: .
> > Hi Bo and TLS!
> > See comments below -
>
> > Bodvar Skutvik wrote:
>
> > > In the quoted pasage Doug says:" Sience assumes objectivity, that
> > Also, I see this as a test of the MoQ. Consider it a major test!
> If
> > MoQ cannot resolve this unambiguously for all, then is it a good
> > metaphysics for all?
>
> D'accord!
Bo,

Yes!!

Doug Renselle.

> > Bo, you, in my opinion, have given MoQ its largest challenge to
Bo continues...
> I feel that the SAIOM
> is the transformation we have been looking for. But let this simmer
> for a while. Good luck with the Loyola presentation.
>
> Bo
Bo,

If, as Pirsig says, 'betterness' is THE elementary unit of ethics in MoQ
upon which we assess right and wrong, we must ask and answer the
question is MoQ 'better' with SAIOM or without SAIOM?

Bo, thanks for the, 'break a leg.' I'll catch up on TLS email next
Thursday and Friday.

By the way Loyola (St. Ignatius Loyola aka Inigo de Onez y Loyola) was
persecuted by the Church for his intellectual SPoV revolutionary ideas
which threatened Church social SPoV dogma/doctrine. Just prior to his
thrashing he was saved by an enlightened Church authority and the
intellectual Jesuit Order was established. Pirsig refers to Loyola in
his work. Loyola's story is almost a mirror of Pirsig's story about the
Zuni Brujo.

This is a good example of an enlightened authority recognizing
intuitively the Value of an intellectual idea in its potential to make
the Church dogma and doctrine 'better.' All of this transpired in the
first half of the 16th century (Jesuit Order founded in 1534, Pope Paul
III recognizes the Jesuit Order in 1540). But they did not learn the
general lesson. About 100 years later they persecuted Galileo (1633)
and forced him to recant his affirmation of Copernicus' ideas. I think
the difference here is Loyola was an insider and Galileo was a scientist
viewed as outside the Church.

In Pirsig's letter to me about this he said,

"Dear Doug Renselle,

I don't know if this interests you or not, but it's a valuable
connection for the advancement of the MoQ. If the honors students are
interested, the teachers will pay attention. If the teachers pay
attention the whole Jesuit order may take some interest. And if the
Jesuit order takes interest it could in time actually budge the whole
Catholic Church since they are historically known as its most
intellectual members. A good line of discussion would be the constant
conflict between those Dynamic ones who want to move the Catholic church
forward into new patterns and those who feel that these new patterns are
dangerous. The MoQ actually supports both views and shows why they must
always coexist even though they are eternally opposed.

Best regards,

Robert M. Pirsig."

Any words directly from him are so precious to us, I thought you would
want to see these.

Have fun Bo and TLS...see you online again in about five days.

A full report of the Loyola Presentation will appear on

http://www.quantonics.com/

on or after 31Mar1998.

Doug Renselle.

--
The complementary view of truth is many truths which are contextual, and
by being contextual they leave room for the good to rule.  It is not

By Hugo Fjelsted Alroe in his email to The Lila Squad on 11 March 1998, 17:44 titled, "LS Re: Rambling on intellect and life."

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com