LS Re: Definition: SOM-as-Intellect-of-MOQ

Bodvar Skutvik (skutvik@online.no)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 15:00:11 +0100

Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:25:46 -0500
Maggie Hettinger wrote:

> Bo, Doug, Magnus, Keith, Donny et al
> Sorry to have to ask. I'm lost and can't seem to catch up.
> Now that you seem to have worked to a plateau, can you state this
> "SOM-as-Intellect-of-MOQ" idea in twenty words or less?

Hi Maggie
I heard your request above the din. A twenty word summary of the SAIOM
idea? Impossible, but take it in steps.

Remember our initial attempts to define the Intellectual value level?
The lower levels seemed pretty self-evident, but the top one evaded us.
The first and most obvious; as mind (of SOM's mind/matter) raises
serious trouble - look to Kevin's fretting over what is good and bad
if Intellect's (as thinking) ideas takes precedence over everything
else.

For long I held that language (linguistic symbol manipulation) was the
solution, then we went over to rationality, math; scientific method
even. From my LILA copy I see that I have jotted down a NB dated 1993
about the correlation between the events that ZMM describes (the
birth of subject/object thinking in the early Greek culture) and the
emergence of the Intellectual level in LILA. So finally I launched the
SAIOM idea: the Intellect of MOQ IS subject/object metaphysics itself!

The benefits are. One: It once and for all brings the wrong, but
ineradicable SOM-lag, Intellect-as-mind out in the open. Now
Intellect is seen as thinking in a particular way: the subject/object
way. Two: SO (the M dropped) is brought inside the MOQ fold, no
longer a competing metaphysics lurking outside in a meta-metaphysical
realm. It has a satisfying closed circle effect on me, but no more
rhetorics!

This was the shortest I could manage, hope you get the gist of it.
Only Platt and Magnus have endorsed it (Kevin perhaps?) while
Hugo is doubtful and Doug has put it in the "junk" tray. Lawrie's
post of 22 March I don't dare to take as support, but it sounded
positive. (Lawrie am I right? Also the "feelings" of the body sounded
like my "sensations" as Bilogy "thinking"). The rest hasn't delivered
their verdict.

Bo

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com