LS Re: Loyola Presentation Status Report.

Doug Renselle (renselle@on-net.net)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:25:37 +0100

Bo and Squad,

See comments below -

Bodvar Skutvik wrote:

> Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:49:19 -0500
> Doug Renselle wrote:
>
> > Lila Squad Teammates,
>
> > See the status report here:
> >
> http://www.quantonics.com/Loyola%20Presentation%20Status%20Report.html
> > As you will see, your help was invaluable in preparing me for this
> effort.
>
> Hi Doug
> Just finished your Loyola University report Doug. Great ! I bet you
> gave them a QM "tour de force" (Quantum Mech./Quality Metaphysics).
> You have probably done more for the Quality cause here that all our
> postings put together. I am proud of you, and think that goes for
> all of us.
>
> Thanks
> Bo

Bo,

Thanks for the kind words. They mean MUCH coming from you, our esteemed
beholder of The Quality Event and promoter of SAIOM.

Actually, I used QM gently to make the keen point that QM is a very high
quality benchmark for MoQ (QM is a Quality benchmark for Reality).

Near the beginning of the talk, I used the following points:

o Pirsig's SODV paper presentation at Brussels in May, 1995,
o My coincidental query to him re: QM interrelationship with MoQ, and
o Pirsig's subsequent snail mail to me of the SODV paper,

as the initial QM connection. Then near the end of the talk, I used my
own intense study of QM (MoQ II) as it relates to MoQ (MoQ I) to qualify
my personal conjectures.

(I & II: Metaphysics of Quality and Mechanics of Quanta)

In my view the most effective points of the talk were:

1. Comparison of Ignatius Loyola's intellectual pattern experience with
the Church and the Church's social pattern immune system coming to
within a hair breadth of thrashing him. (A movie is available.) That
story is much like the Brujo in Lila, but the Brujo was tortured. In
both cases intellectual static patterns of value won.

2. A nearly identical story most of you are familiar with re: the
Church's inquisition (one hundred years after the Loyola inquisition)
and punishment of Galileo. By comparison to 1., above, this is a case
where, in the short term, the intellectual static patterns of value lost
their battle with the social SPoVs.

(Perhaps most remarkable, to me, is the every-day nature of this. All
of us to a greater or lesser extent experience this DQ change ultimatum
among the change resistant layers of the SPoVs with which we (knowingly
and unknowingly) have complementary interrelationships.)

3. And this one I love most - constructed of an assemblage of Hugo's,
Platt's, my own, and other Squad mates' words:

  "The House of MoQ has many truths all ruled by Good. The House of
  SOM has one Truth which rules and demotes the good. The House of
  Cultural Relativism has no truth and therein chaos reigns."

That came at the end of the last question at the end of the
presentation, and

4. I compared Robert M. Pirsig's efforts on behalf of MoQ to W. Edwards
Deming's efforts on behalf of SQC (Statistical Quality Control). Deming
attempted to get USA corporations and governments to use his new
intellectual patterns of value at the middle of the 20th century. He
was ignored, told that he was 'insane,' and to go away because US
corporations and governments knew what they were doing and did not need
Deming's new ideas.

They, in essence, chanted, "Status Quo is the Way to Go."

Deming took his ideas to Japan where they were nurtured with open arms,
adopted, and practiced. The Japanese established the Deming Prize. We
know the outcome! The Japanese machine, Japan, Inc., kicked the USA's
butt!

The same thing is happening now, as we speak re: Pirsig's New
Philosophy. Eastern countries are adopting and installing it now. The
USA will enter Millennium III at an extreme disadvantage, IMO.

Sad...how we resist change...and how devastating it can be. As Pirsig
told us so brilliantly,

"Static quality patterns are dead when they are exclusive, when they
demand blind obedience and suppress Dynamic change."

See p. 121 of the Bantam 410 page hardbound edition.

On a happier note -

For those of you spatially far away, Matt Workman took pictures and
posted some of them at his personal web page. You may wish to check
them out, but beware the pictures take some time to download at the
lower kilo baud rates.

See:

http://members.iquest.net/~workman/mbotw3/loyola_lecture.htm

Thanks Matt!

There are excellent views of the Chicago and Lake Michigan shore line.
We need to encourage Matt to spend more time participating in TLS. He
is one of the young ones using/applying MoQ today, and he will assist us
carrying Pirsig's work forward after us older dudes are long gone. Send
him your comments about his pictures at:

"M.W.Workman" <workman@iquest.net>

By-the-way (BTW), in the pictures, I am wearing a red turtleneck sweater
with a matching red kerchief. (I thought I looked bare-chested!)

Also see the article in Loyola's student newspaper, 'The Phoenix,'
announcing the talk. Unfortunately, Pirsig's name was misspelled. See:

http://www.luc.edu/orgs/phoenix

Again, thanks Bo!

Finally, Lila Squad and especially Diana, I am sincere when I say that I
could not have done the talk at Loyola without the training, education,
and experience provided by The Lila Squad site and its capable
teammates. This forum is absolutely crucial to the future of MoQ as the
New Philosophy for Millennium III. I know we all look forward to being
part of fulfilling Pirsig's dream as practitioners and adherents of the
MoQ.

And Mr. Pirsig, if you are reading this, every one of us here in TLS
thank you for your Brilliance, your Wisdom... Sir, you sparkle with the
artistic aretè of enlightenment!

Mtty,

Doug Renselle.

--
"I believe that it is only when you try
and tell someone else what you think that you

Diana McPartlin, Founder, Counselor, and Web Master of The Lila Squad, TLS -- TLS, that notorious place where persistent promulgators propound Pirsigian philosophy.

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com