LS What movie is this?

Donald T Palmgren (lonewolf@utkux.utcc.utk.edu)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:15:19 +0100

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Struan Hellier wrote:

> Hi Squad,
>
> Donald was right in his "Bells and Whistles" posting and my
> reluctance to posit my own position within this forum was motivated in part
> by my
> desire to maintain the position he outlines, and thus (can I blame my
> relative youth?) I betrayed my own convictions. Thank you for helping me see
> this Donald and my apologies to all.

        No prob.
        I think a (I won't say "problem" but) complication here is that it
seems to me that a third of the LS (a lot of the Lurkers, I think) are
fans who read P's books, think he's a cool guy and a kick-but writer, and
joined up out of admeration -- in other words, for them the LS is like a
fan club. And that's cool, but... another third are philosophically
inclined types who think P has THE answer in the MoQ and the squad should
be flushing out the MoQ and asking, "What does P mean by..." and "What
would P say about..." This is the third that tends to get bent out of
sorts by alian SOM -- the enemy. Then, Struam, there are some who, while
also intrested in phil. think: Well, RM Pirsig didn't spend his carear
studying my phil.; why should I spend my "carear" in phil. studying him?
In other words, we're more intrested in working out our own worldviews --
more or less in relation to P's MoQ, but not dependent upon it.
        Like I said, this isn't a problem, just a complication. Diferent
people come to the LS w/ a different agenda/approch/expectations.
        Maybe we should shoot for a happy --- no, QUALITY ballance?
Dynamic ballance?
                -shrug-
                                TTFN (ta-ta for now)
                                Donny