LS Re: AI & ALife

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:38:12 +0100

Hi Horse and LS

I really liked your AI-post the other day. It's a subject I terrorized
the rest of the Squad with this fall. I'd love to have another go at it.

Just one point. You said: "In the divisions between Inorganic, Biological,
Social and Intellect, where does one start and the other finish."

I must stress that the division between the levels is not one-dimensional.
When deciding in which level something belongs, you shouldn't think: Hmmm,
is it biological *or* inorganic? In that case it's probably both.

Bo's multi-dimensional analogy is much better. If something is biological,
it must have inorganic values also. In the analogy, it is two-dimensional.
Every thing that has values at a certain level also has values at all
levels below it, (the dependency principle). A cell has senses (biological
value), so it must also have inorganic value, for example mass.

There's nothing fuzzy about the level division, it's crystal clear.
I hope I'm not boring anyone with this, but you might find my classisist
essay in the forum interesting.

        Magnus

--
"I'm so full of what is right, I can't see what is good"
				N. Peart - Rush

--
post message - mailto:lilasqd@hkg.com