LS Re: Explain the Dynamic/Static split

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:22:26 +0100

Hi Horse and Squad

Horse wrote:

> At times it appears to be what drives the process of change - Evolution?
> - whilst at other times it is that level/process/phenomenom(?) beyond
> Intellect. How does something that is so seperate from knowable patterns
> of value interact with them.

I think we should be careful not to call DQ a level. Remember that the
SQ/DQ split is the first. SQ is then divided into four levels, DQ has
nothing to do with that division.

I think DQ is always as you said '...what drives the process of change'.

The SQ/DQ split is the answer to the hen and egg problem.
It's the difference between being and becoming.

To be a little more specific, I usually look at the Quality Event as
two static patterns affecting each other. Each being the subject from
its point of view and the other being the object. The dynamic part of
the Quality Event is the ever present uncertainty in each and every QE.
For inorganic Quality Events, DQ is called the Heisenberg uncertainty
principle. I bet you could find similar principles for the other levels
too.

> In a way this seems to be similar to the idea that there is a force
> which acts and that which is acted upon. That sounds like a good place
> to start - even if it is still a little vague.

I'm a little reluctant to calling it a force. I'd like to think that
forces - at least physical forces, gravity, magnetism and such - are
inorganic patterns too.

> So Dynamic Quality is some form of force/power/idea which acts upon (or
> encapsulates) Static Quality which are those patterns of value which
> generate reality.

Well, 'reality' in that paragraph sounds like something which is
separate from whatever is observing reality. The Quality Event is the
source of reality, but I guess that's what you meant.

> OK then, I have my asbestos suit fitted - flame away!!!

Good idea, I'll upgrade my virus killer too. :)

        Magnus

--
"I'm so full of what is right, I can't see what is good"
                                N. Peart - Rush