LS Re: The Dynamic Static Split

Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:47:48 +0100

Hi Squad.

BO
>Thank you - all - for a lot of hefty contributions to the DQ/SQ
>discussion, particularly the "sentience" (or "mind") ...

This sentience business has caused a lot of trouble, so I want to put
forward some thoughts about the different levels involved:-

1. Sensitivity - e.g. ability of a molecule to absorb light of a
particular colour.
2. Responsiveness - e.g. the way an organism by light or smell
3. Consciousness - Confers ability to act in ANTICIPATION of sense. e.g.
running away from a skunk or a snake.
4. Consciousness of consciousness - awareness of present and past
consciousness or anticipatory acts.
5. C of C of C - the realm of philosophers. Anyone who understands 4 has
it.
6. Higher levels (if anyone can make it to here ... COs I can't)

As I see it, the jumps from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are the biggest and the
most obviously important in the biological context.
Modifications or suggestions most welcome!

Jonathan