LS Re: Explain the Static Dynamic split.

Magnus Berg (MagnusB@DataVis.se)
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 06:26:21 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

You wrote:
> Thus, my proposal for a DQ/SQ split:-
> DQ - things that happen
> SQ - intellectualised description of DQ.
>
> This idea has its attractions, but in brings back the mind-matter
> split
> in full force!
> Comments anyone?

As you say, it certainly brings back the mind-matter split. Or actually,
all that is left of SQ is mind. Ahh I see, you seem to think that there
are such things as eternal static truths.? I think you're in for a
surprise though.
The static in SQ does not mean 'static for ever and ever' but 'static
between two quality events'.

And DQ is not a thing. Pirsig writes in Lila about the static levels:
They are exhaustive. ... nothing is left out. No 'thing', that is. Only
Dynamic Quality, which cannot be described in any encyclopedia, is
absent.

I think that 'things that happen' is actually the quality event. It is
dynamic allright, but it is not DQ.

        Magnus