LS Re: Explain the Dyanmic Static split

. (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:29:58 +0100

Glove wrote:

> * for any who wonder at my use of universe without the 'the' (i've been
> waiting for that question and have grown impatient it seems), it is
> because i do not consider myself separate from universe. we are one and
> the same and to refer to me as 'the me' sounds rather ridiculous if one
> intellectualizes about such nonsense. so i dropped the 'the' whenever i
> refer to universe. it seems like such a small concession to make and yet
> it makes all the difference in how i view reality...another example of
> precessionary universe
> at work i might add.

Since you and universe are one and the same, and since you admittedly
are trying to "see more clearly" and make your beliefs "more clear" to
others, it follows that you are universe trying to "change for the
better."

May I also point out that your assertion that "all of universe is in a
constant state of flux" contradicts itself. Those who claim "there are
no absolutes" must make an exception for their claim or else admit to
nonsense. Once the exception is made, the claim collapses of its own
weight and the world of relativism is overthrown.

Finally, you seem to dislike dualistic thinking. I know of no other
kind.
As Bo pointed out in his response, you cannot tell an idealist unless
you know a materialist. All things intellectual are known by their
opposites.
Pirsig said as much in Chapter 5 of "Lila:" "A metaphysics must be
divisible, definable, and knowable, or there isn't any metaphysics" And
we all remember his famous "first slice of undivided experience,"
dualism to the core. Bo has repeatedly made the point that Pirsiq's
Intellectual Level is the dualistic subject/object level to which I
wholeheartedly agree. It's the nature of the beast.

So despite your protestations, it appears that Bo and Diana's definition
of the DQ/SQ split as "CHANGE FOR THE BETTER" versus PERMANENCE" still
stands as the best (note the moral judgment) yet.

Platt