LS Re: Explain the Dynamic-Static split

glove (glove@indianvalley.com)
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 07:05:07 +0100

hello all

michael darling wrote:

>I understand the recognition/reaction dilemma, but I think the question
>goes to whether the presence of an observer changes the nature of the
>interaction. Since no one has yet defined who exactly is doing the
>observing-

my comment:

i feel that i have defined who is doing the observing by my reference to
the subjectivity of awareness. it is each of us, as individuals, who are
doing the observing. and of course our presence affects the observing.
thus the heisenberg uncertainty principle comes into play here.

michael wrote:

 and I dispute that language can accurately communicate who
>this observer is- reaction and recognition might as well be synonymous.
>
>Likewise the key to the monkey that writes Hamlet is whether the monkey
>knew he was writing Hamlet, not whether I recognize it as Hamlet when I
>read it.

my comments:

i think what you are referring to here is the a priori agreements we
have each formed with universe in order to function the way we do. if a
monkey wrote a shakespearean play, how would we ever know if that monkey
'knew' that he/she was indeed writing shakespeare by reading what was
written? not enough information would be available for that analysis
unless we saw that monkey banging away haphazardly on the keyboard and
then read what was being written. and somehow i seriously doubt that
when i picked up what the monkey was writing, i would see anything like-
To be, or not to be.

michael wrote:

>And of course Pirsig changed the world- as have we all. The world is
>different because he exists and measurably (repeatably measurable) so.
>Moreover, likely he changed the world more than I: at a minimum there's
>no
>squad discussing my ideas.

my comments:

the fact that the lila squad exists is merely a relational concept.
without a michael darling in universe there would be no lila squad
existing relationally to him. each are mutually dependent upon the other
for their existence. the same could be said for each of the members
here.

glove

an aside...i have read so many posts that i am confusing names. my
confusion.