LS absolutes

glove (glove@indianvalley.com)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 03:51:00 +0100

hello all

martin wrote:

I would have to disagree here. The speed of light is 300,000,000
meters/second in a vaccuum. This is real and it is absolute. Light
goes at no other speed in a vaccuum, it can't go faster, and neither can
anything else (yet another absolute). The mass of an electron or proton
is also constant, and it's real. You will never find a 5 kg neutron
running around.

my comments:

the speed of light in a vacuum has been measured to a closer and closer
degree, and yet, correct me if i am wrong, there is still a + or -
involved in the measuring process itself. there is also a theoritical
point known as 'absolute' zero, but it hasnt been proven to exist as of
yet. its been approached very closely, much like the measuring of the
speed of light.

in a precessionary universe, this difficulty in asserting certainties
and absolutes lies within the very way we perceive what it is we
perceive. we make identifications by associating what we have already
experienced and form relational agreements with universe. between the
actual observing of an object by an observer and the relationalizing of
separates us from reality. it makes certainty unobtainable.

like you, absolutes has caused me to ponder many areas of thinking in
order to find one. but everywhere i look all i find can be likened to a
description einstein used to describe relative reality...i seem to be on
a train always getting closer to my destination, but forever slowing
down at the same time, so that my destination remains forever an hour
distant.

and on top of that, i am faced with paradoxes no matter which way i
turn. i dont belong here with the lila squad, that much i am sure of. i
am too simple and not an intellectual at all, but at the same time
something draws me back. and so i am here whether i belong or not. and
yet if i am here i belong here. unless of course i get the boot...but i
might just sneak back in anway! how can i reconcile this simple quandary
without giving up any hope of finding an absolute in this life?

and so in giving up trying to solve the paradoxes, i become the
paradoxes. actually its all very zen-like, and if anyone here (and i see
a few have) has ever practiced zen they can attest to the same thing.
while i still make 'absolute' statements all the time, that only means
i have been so conditioned to hear and respond to those seeming
absolutes that i have yet to break away from them. perhaps thats
imossible too. i have a feeling it is. but i am not absolutely sure! :)

glove

it in the observers mind, there lies a split micro-second that forever