LS Re: Potential

Horse (horse@wasted.demon.nl)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 05:40:17 +0100

Hi Jonathan and Squad

> Horse wrote:-
> >I also think that what survives - SQ - survives as memory of
> >different forms. So:
> >
> >Inorganic memory = Substance (Energy/Matter)
> >Biological memory = Genes (Instinct)
> >Social Memory = Tradition (Cultural Beliefs, Laws etc.)
> >Intellectual memory = Ideas (Thought, Science etc. )
>
> I liked it a first, but was then troubled by it. At each level, the
> context, ("Pattern Recognizing Algorithm") becomes more demanding. Genes
> have no meaning whatsoever in the absence of a suitable cell - try
> injecting mammalian DNA into a bacterium! You may get some response, but
> not a mammal! (You could score this using fuzzy logic).

As far as I remember (I might be wrong) certain charateristics of a
species, and/or individuals, are passed from generation to
generation via the information carried in genes. I think this goes for
sexual and asexual reproduction. Are there any species or
individuals where this is not the case (excluding human intervention
by experimentation or other 'conscious' genetic manipulation
methods)? If I am correct then this transference is a form of long -
term memory. It gets changed, muddled and distorted sometimes
but surely this is part of the dynamic process.

> I would say that the PRA/context at each level is every bit as
important
> as the "coding" (memory) and it's not always easy to distinguish them.

Explain further please as I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Horse

"Making history, it turned out, was quite easy.
It was what got written down.
It was as simple as that!"
Sir Sam Vimes.

--