LS morality/DQ/SQ

Martin Striz (striz@ezwv.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 05:57:47 +0100

Hi Squad,

I like that idea of pattern/nonpattern as descriptions of SQ and DQ. A
few people have said, and one said directly to me, that they consider
the SQ/DQ split to be entirely epistemological (based on perception).
However I would beg to differ slightly. I think there certainly is an
epistemic aspect to it which is very important. The division here is
made by the act of perception, DQ coming before, and SQ falling out
after.

However, I would also assert a real, ontological aspect to the DQ/SQ
division. While WE are the ones who identify the patterns and make them
SQ, they still exist 'out there' to be identified. These values, which
change more slowly and can be identified, are SQ. The dynamic moments,
the unidentifiable leading edge, are DQ. The ontological division is
the process of evolution. During this process (a quality event) is
where DQ gives us the values that become SQ.

In the words of the new definition offered, the nonpatterned dynamic
aspect of reality which 'gives birth' to all new values (DQ), introduces
values which must compete in the real world for existence. They are
introduced to us by means of perception. Those which are capable of
surviving (by being the ones with the highest Quality, or being MOST
MORAL) are the ones that stay around, effectively becoming SQ.

-----

Which leads me right into morality. This process of 'naturally
selecting' values is Morality itself. If we remember from Lila,
morality is described as the relationship/interaction of values to each
other. The moral code is based on the 'level' of quality a Value has.

Pirsig certainly didn't say that morality was a made up concept, just in
our heads. He said that it was an intrinsic part of reality. Quality
was morality! Thus it must exist ontologically, not just
epistemologically. And here it is, morality is the 'natural selection'
factor that determines the evolution of DQ to SQ.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Martin

--