LS Morality and potential.

clark (clark@netsites.net)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:56:27 +0100

LS and Horse and Theo and Jonathan and Martin,
  After thinking it over, I am forced back to the "Many Truths" idea
again.
  My concept of DQ as originating in the physical parameters of the
beginning of the universe with the original outline being fixed but
expanded by the interaction of DQ and SQ as time goes on seems to me to
preclude a current and complete understanding of the MOQ by each
individual human. If this is so then each individual human must be
operating at his/here level of understanding at any given time with each
individual probing their limits of understanding and constantly growing
in understanding under pressure from the circular operation of DQ and SQ
as latched in the applicable SPoVs. In this picture there is no way that
we can expect each individual to be at the same level of understanding
but that all individuals are constantly expanding their individual
limits of contact with the universe.
  To my mind, this is a satisfying picture of the practical operation of
Quality in the universe and will necessitate allowing a separate level
of understanding for each individual. (The Many Truths idea)
  This also seems to me to demand the separation of the operation of
Quality between the inorganic level (physics of the universe) and the
sentient (human) level.
  This gives us a picture of an overriding (higher morality) Quality of
the physical universe versus a lagging (lower morality) human level of
quality.

  To me this seems to fit the picture of what is actually happening as
reflected in the impact of humanity on the biosphere. It also answers
the Hitler question as well as all other questions of human morality
without, in any way, degrading Pirsig's concept of the MOQ.
  Ideally human understanding of quality should eventually catch up with
physical quality so that both qualities will be the same. This situation
has yet to occur.
  I hope that someone can convince me that these ideas are wrong. Living
with certainty is much more comfortable and desirable. Ken Clark

--
homepage - http://www.moq.org/lilasquad