LS Re: Dynamic vs Static split; DQ drives evolution

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:14:39 +0100

Hi Andy and LS:

Count me in as a fan of Ken Wilber. He is, as you said, a rich source
for interpreting Pirsig's work. Following along the of Wilber's thinking
you described the DQ/SQ split as:

> DQ = evolution transcending and including, undefinable physically or
> vebally since it is a manifestation of Spirit which is always already
> everywhere and canot be reduced to physical or verbal terms
> SQ = that which is, and which can be defined, and analyzed, and
> therefore subjected to moral/ethical/rational tests, and therefore be
> transcended.

I think you've accurately expressed Wilber's views, but not Pirsig's.
Your description suggests that morals belong to and should only be
considered in relation to SQ. Pirsig, however, says morality is
synonymous with quality and belongs to both the dynamic and static
aspects.

While Wilber's metaphysics has great explanatory power, much more in my
opinion than Pirsig's, it has two fundamental weaknesses. First, it's
entirely subject/object oriented. His four quadrants are pure SOM.
Second, he believes that knowledge of the Spirit, Infinite Mind,
Suchness, Superconscious, Godhead or whatever you want to call it is
only accessible through meditation. Pirsig, on the other hand, brings
Spirit into everyday life, showing how it is implicit in choice and
action, the stuff of life itself. To see Spirit (Quality) we need not
become Buddhists. All we have to do is look and it's there. In fact, we
are it.

Wilber doesn't have much to say specifically about morals, values,
quality. He does distinguish between intrinsic, extrinsic and ground
values which I find helpful, but values are not his major theme. For
Pirsig, values are the whole enchilada.

So to better reflect Pirsig, I'd modify your description of DQ and SQ
to:

SQ = that which can be defined and analyzed and therefore subjected to
rational tests.
DQ = evolution away from SQ, transcending SQ and thus not subject to
rational analysis.

The problem here is the same as with some other descriptions that have
been proposed on the LS: there's no reference to morals or values.
Unless we can work that in somehow, I think we miss the boat. For me the
distinction between DQ and SQ is the distinction between the values of
freedom and order. I've suggested as much in a previous post so I won't
repeat it here. Suffice it to say that between Wilber, Pirsig and the
Lila Squad, metaphysics is enjoying a fine new day.

Platt

--
homepage - http://www.moq.org/lilasquad