LS Re: DQ - SQ code and PRA

Horse (horse@wasted.demon.nl)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:15:58 +0100

Hi Jonathan and Squad

HORSE

<SNIP>

HORSE
>As far as I remember (I might be wrong) certain charateristics of a
> >species, and/or individuals, are passed from generation to
> >generation via the information carried in genes. I think this goes for
> >sexual and asexual reproduction...

JONATHAN
> This is true, but the genes themselves as an instruction set do not
> carry the means for their implementation.
> Naked DNA is rather inert outside the cell. An analogy might be having a
> nice computer program on a floppy disk, but no computer to read it.
> At the inorganic level, patterns of matter (code) are read by other
> patterns of matter (PRA). Code and reader PRA are essentially the same.
> At the biological level, code (DNA) and PRA (cellular machinery) are
> different.

So what you're saying is that there is an interdependence of genes
and their immediate environment - i.e. the cell in which they exist?
Am I right in assuming that there is also heavy interdependence
upon other cells in the immediate vicinity. I know this is simplistic
on my part, as there are all sorts of other processes and
components (DNA, RNA, mRNA etc.) at work in varying degrees
within each cell and between cells, but the general idea of genetic
memory seems about right.

> This difference persists at the social level (codes=laws, customs;
> PRA=courts, performances). What's interesting is that at the
> intellectual level codes (thought patterns) and PRA (other thought
> patterns) are once again uniform.

The above seems to fit well also.

> Any clearer?

Yep. Thanks for clearing that one up.

Horse

"Making history, it turned out, was quite easy.
It was what got written down.
It was as simple as that!"
Sir Sam Vimes.

--