LS Re: DQ - SQ code and PRA

Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 17:31:34 +0100

Hi Horse, Squad,

>HORSE
<SNIP>
>I know this is simplistic
>on my part, as there are all sorts of other processes and
>components (DNA, RNA, mRNA etc.) at work in varying degrees
>within each cell and between cells, but the general idea of genetic
>memory seems about right.

We may be homing in on an SOM problem which has a real affect on modern
science.
I regard genetic memory as incomplete memory. Suppose that in 1000
years, someone finds an intact Windows-98 installation CD, but it
transpires that no-one can recreate hardware to run it? This renders the
"memory" (the CD) incomplete.
Biology is now facing this problem with discoveries of ancient DNA (a
problem largely ignored in "Jurassic Park").
Thus the SOM-based separation of pattern vs. PRA (memory vs. reading
mechanism) is useful for some things, but wrong once if one assumes that
the "memory" part is complete.

Jonathan

--
homepage - http://www.moq.org/lilasquad