LS Re: Dynamic vs Static split; DQ drives evolution

Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:10:35 +0100

Hi, pstira and squad,

pstira@escape.com wrote:

> > Don't you think there is a lot of existing SQ that cannot be defined,
> > analyzed and subjected to rational tests?
> >
> > I'm thinking of
> > * all kinds of patterns that have evolved over time that haven't been
> > noticed
> > * patterns we don't know how to notice,
> > * patterns that people (intellect) don't value (and therefore cannot
> > define) but WOULD be valued by biology or the social level
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Maggie
>
> I think these three things all equate to "patterns that people don't
> value"
> (ie, lack Quality).
>
> According to Pirsig, what does NOT exist is precisely that which lacks
> Quality.

True. But I think there are two senses of "lack Quality". One is:
lack
Quality at the highest level, and one is: lack Quality at any level.

  All those things listed above, since they are not valued by the
highest
levels, are in danger of losing their reality. They are in the same
category as the natural environment. During the nineteenth century
there
where vast chunks of the natural world were valuable at the biological
level, but invisible to the social and intellectual level. The upper
levels went on their merry way, and actually destroyed their support in
the
biological level, by not being cognizant of them.

But I don't think they were "not real".

If, for example, the ozone hole goes on to destroy all human life, then
this particular non-awareness on the part of the upper levels will
actually
trigger the destruction of themselves.

Still, what you pointed out, a pattern's reduction to non-reality by
unawareness of the upper levels, seems pretty significant. This would
be
the mechanism by which the new levels, as they evolve, completely remake
the world in their image, and render the old levels' evolutionary
processes
impotent.

Over to you,

Maggie