LS Re: Fuzzification clarified

Horse (horse@wasted.demon.nl)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:16:14 +0100

Magnus and Squad

> Jonathan, Horse and Squad
>
> Jonathan wrote:
> > Once we subdivide SQ into classes and levels, platypi are inevitable and
> > force the subdivisions to be reconsidered.
>
> Horse wrote:
> > There's also the problem of trying to force 'reality' into a box, or set
> > of boxes, and then getting upset when that same 'reality' refuses to
> > play the game.
>
> I wrote:
> > What I absolutely think is that all these division lines is
> > crystal clear, and that's why the MoQ avoids contradictions.
>
> See the difference? You both think that all divisions are bound
> to fail and force fuzziness to save the day. I think that the
> MoQ divisions are true METAphysical divisions, not just any
> ad hoc divisions that seem to suffice for now. Am I being too
> naive? Perhaps, but I think it's up to the future to decide.

I don't think either myself or Jonathan are trying to *force*
fuzziness - just as in the case of subject/object (METAphysical)
division fuzziness was essential in order to correctly identify
platypii. A natural consequence of unnatural sub-division - whether
things or non-things or something in between. Whenever intellect
tries to force an incorrect form of order upon reality in the way of
rigid and exclusive subdivision, sooner or later reality has a habit of
refusing to play ball.

You've already said in a previous post that within the levels there is
fuzziness - value to varying degrees - so the natural extension to
this is fuzziness between the levels, fractal style. Quality is the
whole of reality, subdivisions are intellects way of making sense of
something too vast to take in in one go. Our 'sense' of quality, as
with our other 'senses' is a form of filter - it is there to keep data
out as much as to let data in. It is also more than likely that there
are levels above and below the 4 levels - but that's another subject!

As for being naive, having read many of your other posts I would
say that this is most definitely not the case. Let's just say we have
different points of view on this subject.

Horse

"Making history, it turned out, was quite easy.
It was what got written down.
It was as simple as that!"
Sir Sam Vimes.

--