LS Re: the four levels

Magnus Berg (qmgb@bull.se)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:02:26 +0100

Hi Maggie and Squad

You wrote:

> Magnus,
> I see no doubt that the robots are a set of social patterns, made with
> inorganic building blocks, but not biological.

But that's the Donkey Kong approach, you lose the dependency between
the levels.

> The social patterns are a subset of human social patterns, and they are
> preserved within the robots' functions. As Diana says, not everything
> human
> has been replicated.

Not the flesh, not the gray cells, not the blood and not the DQ, but
enough to let it function as a part of the starship society.

> I think the deciding point on whether the robots are a "society" would
> be
> whether this social grouping can, itself, grow (ie react with DQ),
> whether
> on human terms, such as charisma, etc or on new hitherto-unknown
> patterns
> created from their own robot balance points.

But this is the static levels we're discussing, forget about DQ for a
minute!

> Of course, you and I talk about "social" very differently, and I might
> have
> just figured out the difference. Perhaps it's the fact that when I say
> sets
> of social patterns I mean those interactions (within a society) that
> oppose
> biology (and intellect, where available). I think when you say
> "society",
> you are referring to viable sets of entities whose structure is enabled
> by
> what I refer to as social patterns.
>
> But when I say patterns, I mean a function, and when you say pattern,
> you
> mean the society.

Yes I do, I think it maps best to other levels. And I think that what
you refer to as "sets of social patterns" is what I call language.

        Magnus

--
"I'm so full of what is right, I can't see what is good"
                                N. Peart - Rush

--
homepage - http://www.moq.org/lilasquad