LS Re: Soc. and Intellectual values

Platt Holden (pholden@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:28:48 +0100

Hi Diana and LS:

Diana wrote:

> We may be splitting hairs here but just because something behaves as if
> it is separate from other things (a cell for example) it doesn't mean
> that it knows it's separate. If we say that it implies that
> "separateness" is the Truth -- ie something out there for the animals to
> discover. But it isn't, it's just the way humans see things.

Since Pirsig equates Quality with experience/awareness, it
seems we must ascribe 'knowing' of some sort to animals, and
perhaps even to atoms, whether we want to or not. (I'm using
'knowing' here as a synonym for awareness.)

Of course, the lower you go on the evolutionary scale the
dimmer the awareness, starting at the bottom with prehension
and gradually moving up step by halting step over the millennia
to irritability, sensation, perception, impulse, emotion, symbol,
concept and finally logic. (This progression attributed to Ken
Wilber.) But I'll leave it to Jonathan, our resident biologist, to
have the final word on if a cell 'knows' separateness or
anything else.

Be that as it may, I have a problem with your assertion that
separateness is not the truth and that it's just the way humans
see things. Isn't ALL truth just the way humans see things? I
don't think I ever met a truth that wasn't 'painted' by a human
somewhere, sometime.

As for separateness, those who say reality is an inseparable
continuum fall headlong into self-contradiction. The thought and
the language used to make that assertion depend on
separation. Are we to say that symbolism, analysis, coherence
and yes, metaphysics -- all of which are separation dependent -
- are unreal?

Best,
Platt

Sin