LS Level 5

glove (glove@indianvalley.com)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 05:46:52 +0100

hi Horse and squad

i have isolated a couple of your sentences from your 9/11 Level 5 email to
Magnus. they cause me concern.

you wrote:

I think this is where I disagree with Pirsig and his assertion that the
levels are discrete. It is the discreteness that produces problems.

and you wrote:

My definition of discrete is a set of patterns or things that have no
relationship to any other set of patterns or things.

Horse, it seems to me that the discreteness Pirsig describes is why our
awareness arises in the first place. if not for discreteness, there would be
only randomness in the universe. Pirsig's description of discreteness allows
interaction within each conceptual layer of the MOQ as well as interaction
in an inside-out motion similar to the blooming of a flower. nothing is
independently free within the universe of our awareness. discrete may be a
misleading word in that nothing is truly discrete and separate in our
universe. i am sure Pirsig intended a more expanded meaning when he used the
term discrete, just as with other terms he uses, like static.

reality is an intricate dance of synergy that 'begins' in the Conceptual
Unknown and precesses in a rippling outward motion, enabling a discrete
inorganic layer to arise locally, because an underlying structure is already
in place non-locally. if there are high value environmental situations in
place, life will also arise in a discrete biological layer using the
inorganic layer, but still using underlying structures contained in the
non-local Conceptual Unknown. these 2 static layers are 'real' objects in
our universe. that 'realness' must be negated in some fashion and it gives
rise to the decrete social and intellectual layers which are not-real but
nonetheless static. this is the dance of li-la. whatever arises in our
universe simply goes back to the source and arises once again in a self
regenerating dance of existence via the four discrete layers. everything is
related non-locally and yet discretely local.

i see the beauty of the discreteness in the MOQ containing the Dynamic
Quality universe just long enough to become useful for awareness to arise.
local static quality is born because of the underlying discreteness that
seems to be contained in the non-locality of the universe, what Pirsig calls
DQ. this is why we can expect the MOQ to be a universal metaphysics and not
merely a local metaphysics.

best wishes to all,

glove

--