Re: LS Program MOQ Catechism

From: David L Thomas (dlt44@ipa.net)
Date: Sun Mar 07 1999 - 21:04:46 GMT

To Mary and Squad

A couple of comments:

Tell the story: fable, vision quest, map the trip, American koan. Example
"The The Guidebook to Zen" uses of the 10 Ox herding Pictures as a guide, or
map, to ZMM this could and probably should be expanded to include the rest of
the trip, Lila. If visual aids (ie slides) were used the 10 pictures and main
titles, from what every source, could be used both as the organization element
and a reference to the East with primarily Western commentary on Pirsig and
his quest for MOQ corresponding to the titles.

SEEKING THE OX
FINDING THE TRACKS
FIRST GLIMPSE OF THE OX
CATCHING THE OX
TAMING THE OX
RIDING THE OX HOME
OX FORGOTTEN, SELF ALONE
BOTH OX AND SELF FORGOTTEN
RETURNING TO THE SOURCE
ENTERING THE MARKETPLACE WITH HELPING HANDS

Or the Ox could be a Buffalo and the seeker a Cherokee.With Southwest Art and
all ;-)

> [John B] It is the fate of every prophet to have his words twisted and used to promote
> the opposite of what he taught.

When I first read this I thought I was in total agreement but then as I read
on to John's suggestion:

> Unless you can connect with the vitality in the request you will end up with an arid
> presentation which will at best stimulate some thought amongst those who stay awake

it occurred to me that it's the prophet's fate to be "twisted" and it can't be
any other way. Under MOQ, by definition the "true" prophet has experienced DQ,
has gone the nine steps and is "entering the static marketplace with helping
hand" The villagers will not hear unless he can connect with their vital
interests, change their static patterns. On to the next village in Tibet, then
China, then Japan, then Europe, then America and with each step the message is
changed to appeal to the vital interest of the static patterns of
cultural,social, et al that are in place. Until a couple of thousand years
later we have Buddhism "the religion" saying many things that Buddha did not.
The Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt is a recent fictionalized account of how this
process occurred in The Bible.

Pirsig entered the "marketplace" in the novel form because he believed it
would appeal to villagers but the jury is still out and will be until we have
the "New Testament of Lila" twisted though it will be.

Dave Thomas

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org