Re: LS 45 minute MOQ

From: Hettinger (hettingr@iglou.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 06:31:01 GMT

Hi, LS.

Excuse my enthusiasm, but Diana's post has got to be the best introduction to
MoQ I've ever read.

It catches the flavor of the books, doesn't give too much away to spoil the
story, gives (I think) the reader a chance to enjoy the mystical, feel-good
flavor AND more than a taste of the intellectual benefits to come.

This is my favorite part, and even after a week, I get goosebumps:

> In the only way he knows how, he rolls up his sleeves, gathers up
> all the world's knowledge, lays it out on an old sheet and starts sorting.
> Life and biology into this pile; history, science and mathematics into that
> one. Sometimes he finds parts that he thought were important are useless
> ornamentation. Other times he finds bits that didn't seem to have any
> function are actually essential to the whole machine. Piece by piece he
> rebuilds our intellectual paradigms and uncovers the secret of the universe
> on the way. Wacky, eccentric, megalomaniac: you could call Pirsig all these
> things (and many people have). But he's having the time of his life.
> To free himself from his intellectual prison, he must master it
> with such proficiency that it becomes an unconscious part of his nature.
> That is, he must spin an intellectual web that it is more perfect than any
> that have gone before, because that is the only way he can empty his
> intellectual cup. The metaphysics of quality is that web and it is both
> mystic and intellectual -- the rational escape from rationality.

So, here's the only question in my mind. What do you want to do with it? Who
does it go to? Where is the audience?

Diana, you mentioned rewriting, but in my opinion you shouldn't do more than
tweak. This is a whole-cloth piece. It's sure and clean.

Cheers!

Maggie

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org