Re: LS 45 minute MOQ

From: rich pretti (richpretti@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 17:55:23 GMT

High everybody:

David wrote:

>Another point I'd like to make concerns the level of detail in a
>presentation. I've noticed a kind of fixation with the four levels.
>Frankly, I'm a little bored with the cold, mechanical feel of these
>explainations. And I'm a big fan of the MOQ! I imagine it would put
>most people into a deep coma.

I think what we are witnessing right here in our free, open discussions
of the ways we see the MoQ is the very Classic/Romantic split Pirsig
illustrates so well in ZMM.

I personally could pick apart, spin around, and analyze every nook,
cranny and orifice of the MoQ and any catechismal presentation with
strict anal rationality - and not for a single minute be bored. Here I
find "classical" quality. Sleeping with a woman, biking to work, washing
my face - I watch as "patterns of value" are enacted and reacted to and
reflect on my experiences in relation to the MoQ. Here I find
unlimited, tireless "romantic" quality - in immediate dynamic everyday
experience. And I think it is this aspect which drew many of us here by
shedding some light on personal existential situations and problems.

I propose that it may be valuable to split the task of
describing/discussing the MoQ into two methods:

 1) Romantic understanding - "the wind in your hair"
      this is where the individual to the best of his or her ability
    describes the MoQ Dynamically - but of course within our
    classical theoretical limits, best presented by those who value:

 2) Classical understanding - "under the hood"
      this is where scholars get to pick apart the theory piece by
    piece, with no intellectual mercy on the one hand, and on the
    other, as we have been attempting, present it as a rationally
    coherent - valuable - whole.

What I really loved in Lila was the understanding that side by side, the
SOM and the MOQ are to be viewed as neither being exclusively,
scienfifically TRUE, but rather different sets of intellectual
coordinates with which to interpret the world, so to speak - patterns of
value. A map without Europe at the center is still a correct map. Here
is the beauty we are all attracted to:

  "The Metaphysics of Quality explains more of the world and it explains
it better. It describes subject-object relationships beautifully, but,
as Phaedrus had seen, subject-object metaphysics can't explain values
worth a damn."

(not an exact quote)

-rich