LS Righteousmess: Use of Intellect in Social Situations

From: Robert Stillwell (Stills@Bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 04:57:13 BST

Rob responds to BO and simultaneously joins in on the debate over Diana's "arbitrariness"
debate...

context. Because of this, I agree with Diana that the MOQ is arbitrary. If one believes
an outcome to be good, he/she picks the intellectual aspect of the situation as doing its
duty. If one believes an outcome is bad, he/she picks the social aspect of the situation
as clouding the intellect. Instropectively and fundamentally, it is not the "social
level" which dominates the intellect -- it is fear.

Bodvar:

Thanks for your insights on the levels. I agree with a lot you said. Of course, you made
a few points that I am unsure of buying into. I'd really appreciate your further input.
A large part of my existence here is due to my struggle with the MOQ. It is stuck in my
head because I can not resolve whether to accept it and move on, or reject it and move on.

I'm unsure whether you understood my viewpoints on being "sensitive to reality" when you
paraphrased me. You wrote "any world view that brings you a 'blueprint' of reality that
makes you able to analyze all situations in its light will do you good."

Basically, I believe that we should trust our experiences. If we can't -- we're screwed
-- because as Pirsig explained that is all we have. What stops us from being grounded or
sensitive to our experiences is a static attitude or mind. Note I am not saying the
patterns that we experience are static. ATTENTION is static when one fearfully clings to
desires, ideals, needs, insecurities and so forth. Unconditional love, consequently, is a
catalyst of goodness. The world would be less insecure. Of course, the individual must
ultimately *choose* to make an attitude adjustment. A fundamental difference between my
views and the MOQ, is that the MOQ offers no notion of mind, will, attitude, or
attention. (I promised not to talk about these things this month, but it always seems
relevant.)

Back to the social level. You said that the MOQ is the first metaphysics to recognize the
importance of society through its social level. Jealousy, insecurity, and insensitivity
of reality are NEVER good. We don't need jealousy, for example, to hold society
together. People just need to be in touch with how miserable we would be without
society. Everyone wouldn't believe society was perfect, but they would want to do what
they could to keep it working. Pirsig's gumption comes to mind. Other terms are
sensitivity or love.

If racism, sexism, homophobia and so forth are social phenomenon then democracy, freedom
of speech, inter cultural marriage, respect and tolerance are ALSO social phenomenon. If
the latter are intellectual phenomenon, then so be the former! The social/intellectual
struggle presented by Pirisig is an illusion. All of human choice requires use of
intellect applied to experience. Our experiences most always have a social context -- as
I explained earlier this is especially true when insecurities and fear come into play.
But sometimes we ignore our intellect and/or the rest of our experiences. It is not the
social level taking over. It is fear.

My previous example of being a bully illustrates this. I *chose* to ignore what I felt to
be right. I don't see it as a social/intellectual struggle. I was clinging to something
I wanted (popularity) and ignored my other thoughts. It is interesting that we often
cling to "social" wants, but the clinging is more fundamental -- metaphysically speaking
-- than the social aspects.

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org