LS CALL FOR TOPICS - July 1999

From: Horse (horse@wasted.demon.nl)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 12:38:16 BST

Hi All
Here are the suggested topics for July 99. I've made the best attempt
I can at summarizing what posts have been received.
I think Diana and Robert were suggesting the same thing and
apologize if that is not the case.
To increase the choice I've resurrected one from the archives, which I
think was first suggested by Kevin Sanchez - apologies to whoever if
this is not the case.
Ken's suggestion would seem to provide for a long stint discussing
the whole book chapter by chapter and I'm not sure how a forum
which uses a monthly vote covers this - but feel free to comment.
Could you please indicate which one you are voting for by replying to
this message and using the same subject line. Voting will be closed
on June 30 at 24:00 GMT.

1) [Denis Poisson]
To further explore the Social and Intelectual Levels in terms of how
they work and their composition. Also, if DNA is the "machine code"
or interface between the inorganic and the biological levels, what form
does the interface between the Biological and the Social levels take
and similarly the interface between the Social and the Intellectual
levels.

2) [Diana McPartlin & Robert Stillwell]
Is there a soul or self? If so, how does it fit into the MOQ?

3) [Kevin Sanchez]
How would Pirsig unite modernity and postmodernity. Chomsky
advocates modernity claiming we need morality to legitimize our
actions and justice is the highest ideal of society. Foucault
advocates postmodernity claiming that despite our need of it,
morality doesn't exists and that society defines its highest ideal as it
wishes. It seems Pirsig can't appease the moderns because of his
reliance on experience instead of logic and he can't appease the
postmoderns because of his acceptance of a universal morality
instead of particular morality.

4) Ken Clark
As a continuing topic beginning in July take each chapter, in turn, of
Lila that is not purely narrative and attempt to reach concensus on
the meaning as a group. We could even begin with ZMM. We could
either allot a month per chapter or maybe shorten it to two weeks if
experience indicated this was enough.

Horse

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org