LS Dynamic and Static

From: DAVID_ATHERFOLD@HP-UnitedKingdom-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 18:35:25 BST

     Hello Lilasquad

     Here's my cut on it.

     "That's the whole thing: to obtain static and Dynamic Quality
     simultaneously. If you don't have the static patterns of scientific
     knowledge to build upon you're back with the cave man. But if you
     don't have the freedom to change those patterns you're blocked from
     any further growth."

     I don't think Pirsig is talking on the personal level here. Society
     builds on the scientific knowledge in order to improve its lot.

     A group which refused to accept the current static levels would need
     to invent a language, figure how to get food, how to get shelter etc..
      "Back with the cave man"

     The caveman who decided to try planting food where HE wanted it
     instead of searching for it was exhibiting Dynamic quality. Once he'd
     done it, figured out the rules, (Static Latching) he was in a better
     quality situation. If his colleagues had said "No you can't do that,
     its against the Gods, it not natural, if you plant seeds we'll kill
     you" then the freedom to change the patterns is suppressed and we stay
     cavemen.

     All obvious stuff.

     Can this be applied at a personal level - well yes but people have
     much more variation than societies. I know people who are in a high
     quality situation (measured by their own feelings) in an almost 100%
     static environment. Go to work, untaxing job, get money, go to pub,
     watch soaps on TV, go to the soccer match, sex on a Friday night. Low
     stress perfectly happy and content. I know others who would be driven
     to suicide by this routine.

     They go off climbing, travelling, all over the world, parachute
     jumping, etc. This is not dynamic, its just a different set of static
     latches.

     For the couch potato to change to the adventurer is dynamic AND VICE
     VERSA. If having changed static values he is in a higher quality
     situation (he feels better) then he has exhibited dynamic quality. If
     he feels worse the he has degenerated.

     You need sufficient freedom and gumption (or dynamic quality) to move
     to a different set of static latches that, for you, put you in a
     higher quality situation.

     OR you can make the dynamic leap to free yourself from the static
     behaviour of "always looking for something better". For many people
     this latch results in a very low quality situation - constant
     dissatisfaction with the NOW.

     So, to try and actually answer the question in the post:-

     A real life person would ideally use dynamic quality to select the
     static quality that puts him in the highest possible quality
     situation.

     The really hard bit is knowing what a higher possible quality
     situation for a real life person is. (Would I be happy if I was
     rich/famous/handsome/a Buddhist monk/had a motorcycle/had a boat/was
     on a riverboat at Fort Lauderdale/was writing my third book/etc.)

     Most people need to change their static values at regular stages during
     their lives. What was a high quality situation for me in my early twenties
     (yes I really enjoyed myself) would not appeal to me now. My present
     situation would not have appealed to the twenty year old me at all (and I'm
     still happy)

     The real life person who causes a dynamic shift in static values of the
     intellect or of society (as opposed to his own values) does not necessarily
     end up in a high quality situation himself (Jesus, Van Gogh, Mozart,
     Galileo etc.)
     I believe the Buddha made it. I hope Phaedrus has.

     Dave Atherfold

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org