Re: LS Obtaining both DQ and sQ

From: David Lind (Trickster@postmark.net)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 07:24:24 BST

greetings squad....popping out of lurk mode.....

it's late, but i'll try to have this post be "coherent, relevant,
well written, inspiring, intriguing, pleasing to the writers and to
the audience" (from Diana)

i have long struggled with the DQ/SQ dilemma (way before i reaf
either ZMM or Lila) - we, as humans tend to be in a continual process
towards a dynamic state (to always be growing, learning, improving, or
changing). yet, we can not maintain this state of motion (in our
limited human form) indefinitely. there's where static latches come
in. we grab hold of what we have. then we get comfortable with what
we have. then we get bored with what we have. then we're off, trying
to get to that dynamic state again. for me the goal of life seems to
be how to juggle the two states. have i figgered it out yet? nope.
but the struggle to find the answer is what keeps me going (a dynamic
quest in itself - we never are really at rest - even when we're bored
with what we have)

to be alive is to be in motion. forward....backward....(even just
trying to maintain involves motion)

regarding the discussions trying to find the balance of those things
we must do everyday and the "nothingness" of zen....my understanding
has always been that the goal of zen is to have all we do be a
meditation....we can meditate by sitting and focusing on our
breath....we can do it by being still and attempting to just
"be"....we can do it by doing the dishes or while driving....oi don't
have the actual quote, but i'll do my best to paraphrase....the zen
story of the master who was asked about zen....he said, "I eat, i
walk." the questioner responded - "i eat, i walk" and the master
replied, "yes, but when i eat, i eat....when i walk, i walk"....it was
very similar to the idea that when we drive, we often are not in our
cars....we are worried about the day's tasks, remembering an earlier
discussion...etc, etc. but when you take everday tasks and give them
your complete attention - there's meditation. (at least that's my
take on it)

that's all for now.....

Shalom

David Lind