Re: LS New Program: The Greeks, the SOM and the intellectual lev

From: David L Thomas (dlt44@ipa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 04:30:43 BST

Hi Greeks & Geeks alike;

My initial position on:

> Seen in the light of the MOQ, what is it that is described in the last part
>of ZMM (The Greeks). Is it the emergence of SOM, the"coming of age" of the
> Intellectual level, or...?
is.

It was the emergence of SOM, but not the emergence of the intellectual level.

"The Quality which creates the world emerges as a relationship between man and
his experience. He is a participant in the creation of all things." 25th ZAMM
pg 374.

The question is: Who were the participants in the emergence of the
intellectual level? And when did it historically emerge?

The patterns of value associated exclusively with this level are primarily
ideas, such as; "democracy, trial by jury, freedom of speech, freedom of the
press."Lila 163

According to the MoQ these patterns "emerge as a relationship between man and
his experience" as an interaction between his static patterns and dynamic
quality. This is a quality event which,if it latches, changes his static
patterns,if it does not, no significant changes occurs.

So it would seem to me that the key is not when a particular idea emerges but
when it latches with sufficient strength to manifest changes not only to the
intellect but when that change starts to change the other levels.

Lets take the two issues democracy and freedom of speech. Yes these ideas
emerged and were documented during the classic Greek period but they also died
there. Western cultures following the Greeks built empires on their science
but it was not until European cultures were exposed to the Indian cultures of
the Americas that democracy and freedom of speech sufficient latch in Western
Culture to change them. But these values had already emerged, latched, and
become dominate static patterns in Indian culture many generations prior to
1492.

On page 376 of 25th ZAMM Pirsig equates arete (excellence in Greek) with
dharma (duty toward self Sanskrit) Quality and virtue. On can assume from this
that "dharma" is an intellectural idea. But the language and the philosophical
discussion of this idea preceeds the majority of all written languages
including Greek.

I conclude that the intellectural level emerged in many different cultures in
many different ways a long long time ago. And it only took us to 2000 AD to
find out about it.

Dave

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org