Re: MD Individuality

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 01:05:46 GMT

    Patrick,

    Actually, I think your first post had legitimate enough arguments. Or,
    rather, I can certainly conceive of a bunch of people who may be thinking
    the things you voiced, whether you recind on them or not.

    But I think the comment about behaviorism is the best way into the
    argument. Its not that pragmatists believe that the mind doesn't exist
    because we can't observe it. Its that we think that we would be better
    served by describing what we formerly called the mind in terms of
    sentential attitudes. Its not that the mind doesn't exist, its that I
    don't think I can understand what we mean by mind outside of a series of
    propositions about it. So it goes for reality, too. We experience the
    piano, the trees, and doing geometry. Pragmatists think its just best to
    treat these things as sentences that we can apply truth or falsity to,
    rather than experiences that we can apply truth or falsity to.

    Matt