Re: MD Symbolically or actually?

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 21:38:03 GMT

    Dearest David B.,

    You really managed to make me smile with your 8 Dec 2002 17:15:32 -0700
    posting.

    When I wrote 'no criticism is valid and valid criticism of existing systems
    of ideas precludes creating new ones and maybe even improving existing
    ones',
    if 'full comprehension must preceed any valid criticism',
    I (logically) presumed that FULL comprehension is impossible and should not
    be required to be allowed to criticize anything.
    To FULLY comprehend a text requires sharing ALL static patterns of value of
    its author.
    And yes, I too was raised decently: to speak with two words, to treat
    everyone respectfully, to not criticize if I don't know what I am talking
    about. As a result I too conform to social patterns of value, usually.
    Intellectual patterns of value require critical discussion. Invalid
    criticism if need be. If the discussion dies, the intellectual pattern of
    value dies. It can't wait for social patterns of value to have their way.
    It's a balance of course. Unrespectful discussion that kills the social
    patterns of value also kill the intellectual patterns of value that flourish
    on their foundations.

    I was only nitpicking on your too rigid formulation: 'FULL comprehension
    MUST preceed ANY valid criticism'. I just wanted to share my hunch that even
    unvalid criticism can help discussions farther (if people are not too easily
    offendee), hoping for an exchange like this.

    You wrote:
    'to describe my approach as philosophology is so much of a stretch that I'm
    stunned. I really can't imagine how you arrived at such a thought.'

    'Lila' chapter 26:
    'Philosophology is to philosophy as musicology is to music, or as art
    history and art appreciation are to art, or as literary criticism is to
    creative writing. It's a derivative, secondary field, a sometimes parasitic
    growth that likes to think it controls its host by analyzing and
    intellectualizing its host's behavior.'

    If Pirsig's MoQ is philosophy, discussing his MoQ is philosophology. Period.
    No specific criticism of YOUR approach intended. Rather some
    self-relativation. ('We' in 'Is that what we should be doing here on this
    list, philosophology...?' refers to a collective 'self', not in a
    condescending way to 'you'.)
    The implicit way out I suggest -in line with the suggestion to allow invalid
    criticism if it helps the discussion forward- is to discuss OUR MoQ's on
    this list.

    I wrote:
    'To the extent that ZAMM is autobiographical, Pirsig is certainly entitled
    to say this, at least with regard to lunacy. The whole MoQ no more than the
    private static pattern of a lunatic ...?! Maybe we are taking him too
    seriously? (-:'

    You reacted:
    'So the MOQ is the incomprehensible ravings of a lunatic? I take it to mean
    you're not a fan.'

    PIRSIG's MoQ isn't FULLY comprehensible, that's right. (So let's try to
    create our own versions.)
    Being a fan of mystical religion, having strong indications that ZAMM is
    largely autobiographical and reading Pirsig's near-identification of
    mystical religion and lunacy, I don't think Pirsig can really be offended.
    ('Lila' chapter 30: 'The Metaphysics of Quality identifies religious
    mysticism with Dynamic Quality. It says the subject-object people are almost
    right when they identify religious mysticism with insanity. The two are
    almost the same.')
    I'm also very much a fan of 'Lila', especially of (chapter 26):
    'Phaedrus ... thought the best way to examine the contents of various
    philosopbological carts is first to figure out what you believe and then to
    see what great philosophers agree with you. There will always be a few
    somewhere. These will be much more interesting to read since you can cheer
    what they say and boo their enemies, and when you see how their enemies
    attack them you can kibitz a little and take a real interest in whether they
    were right or wrong.'
    It is 'with this technique' that I 'approach' Pirsig's MoQ.

    Are you sure I 'must fully comprehend' Pirsig's MoQ before I can be allowed
    to criticize it or create my own version?

    I wrote:
    'Like you David, I don't exactly see how the anecdote about Aquinas stopping
    "his writing and his liturgical endeavours" after getting an insight during
    the Eucharist supports the value of such writing and such rituals...'

    Maybe my irony was lost on you or my ability to express it in what's not my
    mother tongue failed, but I happened to express assent, dearest David. Your
    long rave about chocolate pudding (which I happen to dislike) was quite
    unnessary to make me agree that the anecdote about Aquinas does NOT support
    such writing and liturgical endeavours. For me too 'mysticism is far more
    valuable than ritualistic religion' (but -unlike you- I consider mystical
    religion that needs entheogenic substances a degenerate branch).

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim